Wednesday, September 30, 2009
what the wee ones are up to
We have had a very busy week so far, and it's not just because of lessons. No, it's because we have a two-year-old in the house, so in addition to our normal business, we are closing the refrigerator door, turning off lights, picking up books pulled off the shelves, and putting arms and legs back on the baby dolls! (AGHHHHHH!)
Aside from all that fun stuff, Alli has been learning about colors and shapes. She's been using the felt board activity,
and bean bag shapes my sister made. I tape shapes to our floor using electrical tape and she matches them. Taping our tile floor with various shapes/lines to jump over, into, etc., has really come in handy! (But notice there is no circle. I have a circle bean bag, but have you ever tried to make a circle out of tape? Yeah. Trust me.)
Nathan and Ben picked a letter bean out of our spelling bean game, and they "planted" their bean on the paper and made a bean stalk grow. On each leaf, they glued a picture of something that started with their bean's letter. Nathan Naturally chose N and grew Noodles on his bean. (Ben chose I, so his bean grew ice cream, because there weren't any pictures of igloos or iguanas in Better Homes and Gardens.)
I saw this idea at A Mommy's Adventures. She does activities with her little one based on books they read, like this one that I did with Ben and Alli: Ten Apples Up On Top!
Ben picked "golden delicious" apples, (adhesive dots) to stack up on top of his head. He loves this photo of himself, and stands in front of this picture each morning to reenact this pose while I snicker quietly to myself and pour my coffee. This activity was a good one for Alli, because we're working on the "p" sound and the word "up" in speech therapy.
Here's a Cat in the Hat activity that I saw at Adventures of Bear, except I added rhyming words to our colored paper strips. Ben is just now getting interested in pre-reading and was proud of himself for writing cat and hat all by himself.
3 comments:
heh heh...permanent shade of dirt. Ha!
Your ten apples up on top project came out so cute!! Thank you for linking to me, I'm glad you enjoyed it :)
Great pictures! I LOVE the growing letter bean idea! I'm borrowing that one!
Post a Comment