Monday, September 17, 2018

Huntsville wedding and a mini vacay

Last weekend, I had my first official out of town wedding, in Huntsville, AL.  The bride had discovered me in a search, identified with the style of my designs, and asked if I would be willing to travel.  And y'all KNOW the answer to that question.

I had been to Huntsville once before with the kids, to visit the space museum, but we didn't explore any of the town.  I didn't know what else Huntsville had to offer, but I decided to find out.  The kids were with Jamie for the weekend, so I booked a private AirBnB room, rented a small SUV, filled it to the brim with bouquets and centerpieces, and south I went.  

Huntsville is only about an hour and a half from Nashville, so it's not like I really TRAVELED per se, but still - I crossed a state line and that counts.  

I drove directly to the hotel where my bride was staying, dropped off her personal flowers, then drove to Earlyworks Children's Museum in historic downtown Huntsville.  They have a banquet hall within the building that easily accommodates weddings and events.  I spent the afternoon setting up centerpieces and building table garlands and two large altar pieces.  I was so busy, I didn't stop for many photos, but here are a few:


her ceremony site - she wanted a vintage/antique feel with a touch of art deco

 centerpieces

corsages

This is the only one I have from the photographer so far.  I can't wait to see the rest!  Picture day is always my favorite.

I wrapped things up about half an hour before the ceremony began, wished the bride my best, and headed to my home away from home.

I had never booked an AirBnB room before - I've always booked the entire place - so I wasn't sure I would like sharing the space with the hosts, but when I arrived and met Mike and Nicole, I knew I would feel at home.  They shared a glass of wine with me and we sat and talked for about an hour about their two cats, Michael's many cycling championships, and their recent trip to Italy.  They gave me some recommendations for dinner, and I walked down the block to the historic Old Town district.

It's a beautiful downtown area, exceptionally clean and safe, and instead of finding food, I continued walking, simply because I was interested in seeing everything.  I noticed a couple clusters of people on the block corners, and was curious that it might be a tour, so I came in closer.  I learned that it was a ghost tour, and since I had no good reason not to, I paid my ten bucks and joined the group.  I expected a ghost tour to be creepy and thought I might regret it, but actually it was very informative, and a good way to get a history lesson.  About 45 minutes in to the tour, I cut out and went back on the hunt for something to eat.  Nicole had recommended a place called Below the Radar for the best burger, and I was NOT disappointed.  It was probably the best burger I've had in a long time.  It could be the sauteed onions and mushrooms that I requested they smother it with - probably didn't hurt.  I sat alone at the bar, devoured my burger and fries, and watched the Auburn game in complete and total "I'm traveling alone and can do whatever I want" bliss.  I walked back to my room with a full belly, talked some more with my hosts, and took a quick nap before heading back to the venue to clean up.

When I arrived, they were still dancing, so I decided to explore a bit to kill time.  Just a couple blocks away was a beautiful city park, and people were still walking about, so I did the same.

It was a lovely walk - there were fish in the pond, ducks and geese about, and while I was catching up with Nathan back home, there was a small fireworks display on the grounds of the nearby art museum.  When I finally returned to my room, it was around midnight and I slept like a baby.

I checked out of my room around 9 am and drove through more of the historic neighborhood, gawking at mansions, before landing at Honest Coffee for breakfast.


 This is where I will live if I move to Huntsville.  I told the owners I have dibs. They're totally cool with it.  :)


 This is second place.  The photo doesn't do it justice.  I had driven by it the night before, and it was so beautifully lit, my jaw literally dropped and I had to stop the car.


I sat outside the coffee shop and heard someone nearby say the word "Nashville."  Turns out they're building a home in East Nashville, moving there from San Diego.  I talked with the wife for at least an hour before we had to part ways.  It was a sweet little surprise, as was the fact that the coffeeshop comped my breakfast because they lost the ticket.  Free breakfast!


 I explored a bit more downtown, waiting for the botanical garden to open.


 I'm a sucker for a good, old cemetery with its old creaky trees and discolored stones.  I spent about half an hour driving through this sizable cemetery.  I think the introvert in me likes visiting a place where no one will talk to me.  At least, I hope they don't.



When I had mentioned wanting to visit the Huntsville Botanical Museum, Michael had gifted me with a free ticket.  So:  free breakfast AND free garden.  You see why Huntsville and I get along.

There was a chance of rain, but it wasn't enough to keep me from the gardens.  They.  Were.  Beautiful.

 I lingered as long as I wanted to in each garden, thankful that I was alone for the experience and not rushed by someone who couldn't appreciate it like I did.


 The Japanese water garden was my favorite.  The yellow water lilies were blooming, the purple gomphrena were in full bloom all around the pond, and the fountains made it utterly peaceful.  Not a single person disturbed me the whole time I was here.







I was able to tour all of the grounds and avoid the rain - making it into the butterfly house before the downpour.  I didn't have to wait it out very long - and really, what's ten minutes inside a butterfly house?

I made it to my car before the rain started again, and began my trip home.  The rain was short lived, so I stopped at a Publix just outside of Huntsville to grab a bite to eat on the road, and noticed a trail head nearby.  So being the person that I am, and realizing that I didn't just have to get right home, I took the diversion, walked a short half mile loop beside the small lake, and ran back to the car when the rain started up...again.

I was happy to get home, and made myself a promise to travel alone more often.  Way more often.  It was  an exciting weekend of exploring without schedule or purpose, or anyone else's agenda.  And looking back, there was only one moment where I admit I was concerned for my safety:




but as long as I bring my running shoes, I think I'll be alright.


No comments: