Monday, September 21, 2009

flipping rocks

Sunday was Rock Flipping Day! I stumbled onto link to Wanderin' Weeta, (coordinator) at Unplug Your Kids and it sounded like fun. My kids don't need to be told to flip rocks, they do it on a pretty regular basis! But this time, I made it more "official" and said that we would be recording our findings. So, here's what we uncovered in our yard:

Rock #1: A nice, fat cricket, considerably slower than his four or five friends that scurried away before the shutter clicked.


Rock #2: An even fatter worm! He was a big one for our yard. Last week when the ground was wet, we noticed a lot more worms under our rocks, but now that the ground has dried, they have burrowed deeper and we didn't find as many.


So, nothing new or amazing, just crickets and worms, but Alli has so much fun discovering little critters that it was still worth it. I'm not sure how it all works, but I think there will be a link to see what everyone else discovered on Sunday. We'll have to check back!



1 comment:

Dana Leeds said...

What a fat worm! And, wish I would have seen the "flipping rocks" day and taken part! Sounds like fun. :-)