Wednesday, May 9, 2018

red rocks and denver

 I am so blessed to have this friend.  Elizabeth and I have been friends since Nathan was a baby (so, for like 150 years) and I ALWAYS enjoy being around her.  She's my creative, hippie friend that I can talk to about homeopathics and flower essences and Jesus and being gluten/dairy free.  She and her husband Micah had an extra ticked to a show at Red Rocks and asked me if I would like to come on a spontaneous trip to Denver.

OKAY.

Micah's business has a second warehouse location in Denver, and he keeps an apartment there.  So not only did I have a free concert pass and a free place to stay, they also used their airline points for my ticket.

I LOVE MY LIFE.





The first day, we took a long walk around the neighborhood (it's a new neighborhood, built on the land that was the old airport).  Later that afternoon, we took the train into Denver and puttered around Union Station and all the shops, eventually landing at a rooftop bar.  It was a gorgeous sunny day and we had nowhere else to be.  So we ate our fill of chips and three varieties of guacamole, and soaked in the sunshine.


 Speaking of food.  Near Micah's apartment is a small cafe and juice bar called Etai's, and it is a good thing such a place does not exist within walking distance from my own apartment.  I would be FAT.  This was breakfast on day three before heading home:  rice bowl with two runny eggs, steamed kale, caramelized onions, topped with crumbled Feta and diced avocado, with a side of green chili sauce.

SO GOOD.

Back to day two:

Red Rocks.

 We loaded up their small RV (which I came to love, as it was my "home" for the weekend) with picnic food and chairs, made the drive to Red Rocks, and set up camp for the day.

We came early enough to get some good hiking in.  Well....those of us who claimed to be hikers.  Elizabeth and their friend Ben cut out early, and Micah and I each took a section of trail and carried on.


 You can see that Ben does not taking hiking seriously.

haha

 There are so many beautiful vistas that I can't decide which photo is my favorite.  None of them actually do it justice.  It's entirely different to be under the open sky, breathing mile-high air on a warm, sunny Colorado day.



I mean...I look happy, don't I?  I am.  I'm pretty happy here.



 (Mom.....the deer!  There was another one just behind it.)




After the hike, which was about three miles, I called it good and went back for the picnic fare.  Soon after, it was time to hike up into the amphitheater.


We saw Phil Lesh (guitar player for The Grateful Dead) and one of my favorite bluegrass bands, Leftover Salmon.  (pictured)  It was an incredible show.  I was blown away by the musicianship of these guys.

After breakfast the following morning, we cleaned out the RV, packed up, and called it a wrap.  It was a great spontaneous trip, and I am so thankful for my generous friends!  I think I'm the luckiest girl ever.  We go to another Red Rocks show in July to see another favorite band of mine.  I'll have to tackle a different trail.

No comments: